4/5/07

My So-Called Second Life










So my buddy Ron sends me a message a month ago telling me to get a second life. So I finally did. Second Life is a really, really cool virtual world that allows you to chat and interact with people who may be on the other side of the world. Now, I'm a big proponent of staying in the real world and I try to avoid depending on computers. But this is super cool. It's great to interact with people across the country, when you normally would have to rely on e-mail and myspace. Here's the thing: It's gotten HUGE. There is an economy, a currency exchange between Linden dollars and real dollars (US and otherwise), companies, corporate meetings, political headquarters of Hillary, Barack, John Edwards. Hell, one French presidential hopeful had his headquarters destroyed by virtual protesters hurling pig grenades. sweeet. You can buy land, build a store, sell virtual clothes, surfboards, whatever. I smell a new economy brewing. I might get into building spaceships. You can even teleport into low orbit and make a jump to mars! Check out the International Spaceflight Museum they have built. Get a second life. If nothing else just to explore it for 10 minutes. Fascinating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm glad to know that you signed up for Second Life. About a month ago when I started on this blogging kick, I almost joined. Then my husband made fun of me. Then I didn't know anyone else who was on Second Life. Now I do and now I will join.

The one good thing about me wasting time on the internet is that I stay awake when we watch movies at night. I don't really get as much out of the movies, but at least I stay awake...I usually fall asleep before the end and now have watched tons of movies without ever seeing the ending. My husband was wondering if I felt empty due to all of the missed story endings...

Frederick V. Pabst said...

Yeah, a lot of people make fun—but you know what? NASA's in there! So is Calvin Kline. I think it's just a cool tool to interact with a friend who may be across the globe. I don't know about you, but I think the idea of sharing a virtual bottle of Jack Daniels and a doobie on the beach with them is more fun than, say, e-mailing them or posting a message on MySpace. In two years, EVERYONE will have an account. Mark my words.