9/3/07

The Father-in-Law

Most people don't relish hanging out with their in-laws. I am an exception. My in-laws are super cool. They are old-school anti-establishment types who went to art school in the 60's. In fact, if I were born in 1945 I would be my father-in-law.

To the left is a Haier coffee maker.
The other week my mother-in-law (we call her MOMA - like museum of modern art - get it?) bought my father-in-law this particular brand of new coffee maker you see above. It's ultra-sleek and modern. So MOMA asks my father-in-law the other day, "How is the new coffee maker?" He says "oh, you mean the medieval castle?" Obviously, he doesn't like the design.

Then another week goes by and he tells MOMA that it doesn't work. So when I get there I inspect it, but it's working. Then he shows me the water tank, and I see what he's talking about. When you open the lid to pour in the water, you only have a little over a 1/4" - about - 3/8" to pour the water in. Even if you are using a water pitcher, the water goes everywhere but in the tank. You need a funnel to get it in there. The design is horrible. Totally not functional. As he shuts the lid, he says "designed by some exterior-surface-decorative-son-of-a-bitch."

Amen.

No comments: